Wednesday, August 18, 2010

The Ohio State Fair


Posted by Picasa



The highlight of this collage is Lottie Randolph. Among lots of other farm and home activities she was Assistant Director of Agriculture in Ohio for 8 years under two governors and then Special Assistant to the Administrator Farmers Home Administration, U.S. Department of Agriculture in Washington DC during the Eisenhower Administration. All of that had her elected to the Ohio Agriculture Hall of Fame. But most importantly she was a nice lady and my Grandma and my only grandparent.   





I have fond memories of Grandma. Singing Christmas Carols to her playing the piano, Hollywood bread and cinnamon toast, her spare bedroom and office with all the neat pictures and paintings where I locked myself in and couldn’t open the door. Dad had to cut the screen and climb in. The backyard swing and a big container of Dominoes, the Tri-Village CafĂ© (?) and their picnic tables. Rolf’s market. And the summer of 1960 when I spent a big chunk of it in Washington DC with her. I would ride the trolley down Connecticut Ave to the city and spend days and hours in the Smithsonian or on the National Mall just wandering around seeing the sights and looking at monuments. Eating lunch or dinner at the old Mayflower Hotel and seeing the Broadway production of My Fair Lady at the theatre with me in my white dinner jacket that Grandma bought me for the occasion. Whoahh!!! Going to Arthur Murray dance studio to watch her dance. Grandma spent what some thought was too much on Arthur Murray. I can’t say I ever did. It was her money and she enjoyed it a lot. Besides she never shorted me. One of the coolest things ever at that point in my life and being 17 was driving her 1953 (maybe ’54) blue two-tone Buick Roadmaster through Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Maryland to DC. Yahooo!!! And here’s a thought I haven’t shared much. I was on the roof of her apartment building one warm summer night and a young (25-ish) attractive women (I was 17) asked me to come down to her apartment for a drink. I was young, shy, going steady with Janie Biggs, so maybe a little noble, and definitely somewhere between foolish and stupid and declined. Don’t think I haven’t questioned that decision a mess of times over the years!!!!



Well, if there is a point to this blog I probably got off of it a while ago. But then it is my blog. What’s the point if I can’t get off it?





  

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

buy tramadol online tramadol 450 mg - buy tramadol 24x7

Anonymous said...

buy phentermine can you buy phentermine online no prescription - phentermine online 37.5

Anonymous said...

[b][url=http://www.louisvuittonsalesstore.com/]louis vuitton outlet[/url][/b] Along with the Ed Hardy Tiger Cap is a metal stud etched with all the Ed Hardy signature. In front is actually a beige shade embroidered with colourful Tiger head structure. Its visor comes NFL Jerseys in coloration black with yellow stitches and embellished Ed Hardy signature while in the middle with a denim type beneath.

[b][url=http://www.louisvuittonhandbagsgo.com/]louis vuitton purses[/url][/b] Once you e book a Cuba vacation deal, you might protect lots of time and money on the vacation. You may pick from family-friendly all inclusive resorts, luxurious all inclusive resorts, luxury motels, and a wide range of low-priced quality accommodations in key tourist warm locations. You may give you the option to advantage of a few of the lowest costs.

[b][url=http://www.beautifulbagsstore.com/]www.beautifulbagsstore.com[/url][/b] Potentially by far the most pleasurable of all lighthouse crafts for children and older people alike could be the building of the miniature lighthouse. You could make lighthouses away from many distinct components based on how you are going to make use of it. My beloved lighthouse job is making a gingerbread household within the form of a lighthouse.

[b][url=http://www.louisvuittonbagsoutlettu.com/]louis vuitton outlet[/url][/b] Healthy fruit smoothies would be the great snack during the hot days of summer season. These delicious treats is not going to only interesting you down, they are also brimming with nutritional vitamins, calcium and lots of h2o. Get out your blender and develop your own personal favourite model. The identify delphinium arises from the Greek and usually means "little dolphin." The title was preferred as the form of your bloom is paying homage to the nose of the dolphin. Additionally it is from time to time known as a larkspur, because its spur is shaped just like the claw of the lark. Data in the delphinium's existence dates again to the beginning of the fifteenth century.