Wednesday, May 11, 2011

On being curmudgeonly

Very recently we went to Sunday Brunch at a place called Schobels. I think that is the correct spelling? It’s a pretty nice German place on one of the rivers here. I can’t keep them straight. It may be the Guadalupe or Comal or some other river. But it has outside seating with views overlooking the river and its very nicely landscaped and all. So you’re asking why are we there? I know, I know, there was no duct tape on the furniture or sawdust on the floors, and the wait staff didn’t have any visible tattoos, so it was kinda’ out of character for us. Anyway, being Sunday Brunch it was Sunday and rather crowded. Being the place it was there was one pretty large group seated outside in a premium location with a spiffily dressed middle-aged gentleman who appeared to be kind of in charge of this wedding party or family affair, whatever(?). Nice group and all, but large and decidedly undecided. They had trouble finding a place to stand or light and in choosing things in the food line and there was just lots of them. Enough anyway to be mildly annoying. So this well dressed and nice gentleman was kind of milling around in front of me saying “where to start, where to start?” Being old and who I am I just couldn’t hold it in. So I said, “you could start by getting out of the way”! And then the fight started! NO! Just kidding. I said it almost under my breath but I think he might have heard me. So he moved with kind of a start and we smiled at each other and went on our way. At least I did! He may still be standing there. So the moral of this story? Don’t get in front of curmudgeonly old farts in the food line!!
We are still in Schertz and will remain here for a while. We took a drive through some of ‘Hill Country’, north of here, to look at some of the possible places to stay for a while and just didn’t find anything better than where we are. We have our nice little shelter to sit under and do our crafts, were right near all the shopping and eating places we could want, not too far from Pickleball, and the price is right at the monthly rate. And this way we won’t have to worry about a place to stay for Memorial Day or maybe the 4th. Those holidays can be tough when you travel and don’t make reservations. I still need to be here through late June for a check-up too, and now I have a cataract appointment tentatively scheduled for June 8th on my right eye. So that will take two or three visits. Then maybe we can move on.

My latest work.IMG_2449 IMG_2447

1 comment:

Duane and Louise said...

Nice job on the carvings.