Sunday, April 24, 2011

San Antonio

OK! Almost San Antonio. Actually it’s Schertz, TX. About 30 minutes northeast of Audie Murphy and right off I-35. We’re in a pretty good park that is far enough from I-35 to barely be heard. Nice pool and a lid over the picnic table where we do our crafts.

IMG_2403 You can see that Kat as done a very nice Afghan, but of course as she would tell you, “she only makes dish rags, some of them just happen to be bigger and more decorative than others”. Anyway they’re pretty cool. She has another started and it’s actually better, but then I picked the colors on it! So just in case, you may want to get a ‘bid’ in. I don’t know what she intends with them? I’m still carving of course. I finally finished my first bark carving ‘in the round’, its on the left with the ‘pot-bellied stove, ‘Dead Eye’ is in the center and a new ‘whimsical house’ is on the right. That one is spoken for. Although the recipient, one TT, doesn’t know it yet. But Kat and I spend considerable time doing crafts outside in the breeze. And here in Texas I can always let the wind do my clean-up. I learned that from Dubanoski. It’s effective.

IMG_2406 IMG_2408 IMG_2409

Jerry and Linda, friends from Bentsen Grove live here in SA and we have gotten together a few times. Jerry plays Pickleball here and he has taken me to the Canyon Lake Community Rec Center to play. Real cool! It’s a nice facility and real nice folks. I have a little trouble because they use orange balls and the court and walls are kind of a beige color and balls are hard to pick up visually with so little contrast and me with my cataracts. But, I convinced one or two folks that a darker ball really is better, but little matter because its still fun.

While Jerry and I play, Kat and Linda shop. I guess it works out. Now they are going to go to some kind of weaving class. That’s of course after they shop. Kat and I went to the annual Hot Dog and something/something sale at Camping World and overheard a group of RV’ers talking about going to the Grist Mill in Gruene for dinner. The hot dogs were crap and not being averse to eating out or eavesdropping we headed for Gruene (pronounced Green). We ended up in a huge traffic jam because it was outdoor festival day or week or ??? in Gruene. But it was kind of cool so we waded around town and through the vendors and skipped the Grist Mill because of the crowd. But Kat saw some guy doing some kind of yarn weaving and now she and Linda are going to a class today, after shopping for their stuff, which he, by the way, supplies, but I guess you can’t be to sure. Don’t know how much longer I’ll be able to afford playing ‘free’ Pickleball??

In our travels we were driving through New Braunfels looking for a bakery Jerry had told me about and passed one of the Schlitterbahn Water parks and I said I wouldn’t mind trying some tubing. This is like the World Capital of tubing. So Kat said, “yeah, that would be fun”. This requires further investigation and planning. I’ll let you know how it turns out??? But is sounds like a plan to me!!!!

And the bakery was good. Advertised as the oldest in Texas. I got some strudel and a fried pie. Both yummie!!! It’s the German influence here in Hill Country. And I’m half German, half English, and then mix in some ridge runner, and farmer, about half on me is Army, and I’m pretty much all Red-Neck not to mention a Tea Partying libertarian. Let’s see does that add up? Close enough, I guess! Whew! That could make a fella’ one screwed up puppy!

1 comment:

greg and jean said...

When you have a chance go back to Gruene and 'do' the Grist Mill......we like the place.