Friday, June 11, 2010

Kats Carvings










It kind of looks like I went through some kind of midget phase. I guess I did. Not that I had any kind of wood shortage issue. I left Texas with a goodly supply of wood to carve. Unless I get busy I'll still have plenty when we get back. So I'll get busy on something a little taller.
The center piece is a Whimsical house carved out of cottonwood bark. This piece is about 2" thick and right at 9" high. Fun and easy to carve. The little guys are all carved from basswood and are all less than 4" high. My tool kit is about old country doctor medicine bag size and contains a roll of 17 assorted knives, gouges, and 'V' tools. That plus a shaving kit full of sharping stones and I'm good to go. I do have a clamp and a couple of saws that take up a tiny space but nothing else would fit there anyway. And of course I have some wood. More than usual right now but it will be a long summer and I didn't want to run out.
My current problem is finding a place to put the finished stuff. Some of my stuff is fair to good but honestly speaking some of it is just 'designer firewood,. The problem is Kat won' t let me get rid of anything. As soon as its done it hers and I ain't leaving anything of hers behind or giving it away. Well not much anyway. I am prone to hang something in a tree or nail it to a post but the longer I do this the more we seemto accumulate. I do appreciate her apprecciation of my work but we have got to do a better job of convincing her to let some stuff go. You can contact her at 503……………………. Well you know how to contact her.

Thank you

No comments: