Friday, March 5, 2010

Honorary Canadian







So now I am one. I’ll ‘splain.

We finished the regular season in pretty good fashion. We were either one or two games above 500. ‘bout where we should have been. So we were either second or third in the standings and made the playoffs. Did I say that there are four teams and we all make the playoffs. A slip of my mind! Anyway we then played the second or third place team (whichever one we were not). We won that game to make the finals. Long story short, we lost. But second place ain’t too bad. And we had fun and got through the season without major injury. Two of the major goals of the league. We had some great fans for both games but try as they might they could not cheer us on to victory. And they did try! I am, of course pictured demonstrating my hitting and pitching prowess. And that is Evelyn (co-manager) and me on the right. Evelyn played played over 150 games last year between here in the winter and Canada in the summer.

Maybe the biggest event in softball here is the annual US-Canadian game. The last event of the softball season. As it turned out I didn’t sign up to play the game. Probably a mistake on my part because it really was fun, but it turned out very well. There were four or five Canadians on our regular season team and when they found out they had no pitcher for the Canadian team, and that I wasn’t playing for the US, they ask me to pitch for the them. So I did. There was a game in each of the three divisions. I didn’t get pictures and haven’t found any yet but just imagine a good crowd at a little league game with the Stars and Stripes and Maple Leaf flags flying all over and then age the players 60 or 70 years. Kind of like that. You should have seen all the tee shirts, flags, banners, tattoos, and National spirit. All in good fun. Nancy, one of my carving friends was there to pass out flags and I didn’t even recognize her. I don’t know what you call the Canadian equivalent of Uncle Sam, but that’s what she looked like. And add the tattoos. So, at least in Senior Texan League softball, I am an honorary Canadian. Oh! And we lost! But it must not have been because of my pitching because I am invited back already.

No comments: