Friday, January 18, 2008

Still Yuma




Circumstances dictated that we stay in Yuma longer than planned. We had to get the windshield fixed, we wanted to see Vickie and Blair, who just came down to their place, and we wanted to get some eyeglasses and medications in Mexico.

The windshield repair guys showed up on time at our RV space and went right to work. All I had to do was show them my insurance card and sign. Good as new. Time to go to Mexico!

On a nice Yuma morning we picked up Vickie and Blair and headed for Algodones. Algodones is maybe ten miles west of Yuma back into California and then south a couple of miles to Mexico. It probably has more pharmacies, dentists, and eye doctors per capita than any place, any where. That’s what it is and that’s why people like us go there. Blair made a dental appointment, Vickie checked on contact lenses while J/Kat and I both got a pair of eye glasses. That was bifocals, transitional lenses, and the works for $99 total. We did have our own frames. Then we bought a bag full of prescriptions that were cheaper than our co-pay. We did a little walking through the shops browsing and haggling over prices, had a nice lunch and headed back. I did check on getting our satellite dish painted but wasn’t sure I’d do it.

Then I broke a tooth. A couple days later at breakfast I found a hard thing in my mouth and felt a hole in my head. I probably couldn’t have been in a better place. So back we went to Mexico to see Blair’s dentist. I got right in and got checked. Very nice office and technicians and everything. They took a picture of my tooth, which I got to see on the computer screen, and told me they could do a crown for $270. I might have gotten a better deal; I’ll never know and don’t want to. It’s just that as a Gringo sitting helplessly in Mexico while a Mexican has his hand halfway down your throat you’re not in much of a position to haggle about price. Under the circumstances I felt like I should have it done where I was. So they did some drilling and grinding and put a temporary cap on and told me to come back in a week for the real thing.

Next we went to get the satellite dish painted. I had come up with a design and taken a copy with us. I talked to a couple of the local artisans and found one who would do it for $60. You’ll notice in our pictures that the theme was “rabbit ears”. I guess you might have to be older than 39 to get it? Maybe not!

No comments: