Saturday, January 19, 2008

The 'Golden Knights'




We changed RV parks a couple of times in Yuma until we found something we liked. We ended up in an older part of Yuma next to the Colorado River and a park area that is being renovated. It was a great place to ride bikes and walk. There was even a hummingbird and butterfly garden. Yuma is very bicycle friendly. There are trails along the canals and they are making new bike trails that go to the Old Town area. We went to a couple of open air bazaars and craft shows. This turned out to be another one of those places we could go back to. We had a couple of dinners with Blair and Vickie and got to see their place. They have a park model in a 55+ park and are enjoying the lifestyle. Of course we went back to Mexico one more time to the dentist to get my permanent crown. It took a couple of days but now it feels like it belongs.

When we were in Buckskin I met a fellow wood carver who was going to Yuma and who told me about the carving program they have at the Senior Center. A real neat program. For (I think) $15 a month you can go to the senior center and work with other carvers and share some larger tools and ideas and not even worry about cleaning up . We went just one day but I got some good ideas and tips and found out there was going to be a big carving show the coming weekend. So we went to that and I got a few things including a diamond willow stick and a couple of pieces of cottonwood bark. I have found that carving is a great hobby for the RV. I usually don’t have to clean up my mess and it doesn’t take too much room to carry my stuff. I just have a small bag of tools and a few sticks and blocks of wood. And I think carving is kind of like fishing in that the time spent carving doesn’t count towards dying. That comes from what I believe is a ‘Mark Twain’ quote?

You may have heard of the “Golden Knights”? They are the U.S. Army’s parachute jump team. They have performed all over the world in various venues and events and have won more contests than any military team. Every year they come to the Yuma Proving Grounds for a month or so of training which is open to the public. We drove out near the Parade Ground and walked over to watch. They had set up a target and landing area surrounded by some of that orange plastic fence. I don’t think the target landing site was more that 50 feet from the public. And when the paratroopers landed they came over to the fence to repack their chutes and talk or answer questions. It was really marvelous to be so close. They were jumping in 8-10 person (at least one female) teams and there may have been four teams. As soon as they repacked they loaded into a bus, went to the airstrip and jumped again. I think they were getting about a dozen jumps each that day. We watched for an hour or so and saw six or seven jumps. I sure don’t begrudge that part of my tax dollar. The U.S. Armed Forces still do it right.

No comments: