Saturday, March 17, 2012

Gone today-Hair tomorrow

We had our appointment with the oncology doctor yesterday at the VA hospital in Phoenix, and the news is good. No more #@&%$* chemo. Whoahh, whoopee and yahoo !!!!!!!!!! It’s not like I am magically cured or anything, Consider this just a second opinion and a different approach. My lady doctor, Dr. Harrington and another oncologist have looked over all my stuff and think that the hormone therapy is a better approach. I am still not a candidate for surgery, and that includes Cyber-knife, because of the spread to my bones. It wasn’t that chemo was wrong, the thinking here is that that can be used later as it becomes necessary. You may remember that we heard something similar in San Antonio when they started me on hormone therapy. So now I have a new pill to take; biculutamide. One tiny pill a day and no more chemo. Yip yip whooooahhh!!!!!!! Did I ever mention that chemo sucks? This new pill is one specifically used in conjunction with the hormone shot (leuprolide ??) I already take. Anyway, I almost danced out of the hospital. All of this is based on the shrinkage of my tumor shown on imaging. As was explained to us before, the hormone therapy blocks testosterone which is the culprit in prostate cancer and is the equivalent of surgery. Kind of like cutting off the ‘boys’ as Kat would say. Much less disturbing I would say.

IMG_2914 Gone today

So now I will see have to see the urologist and find out about the stents and have a ‘PET’ scan. That’s a whole body scan, kind of like a CT I guess? So they’re still looking. Mostly I can report we have seen the doctor, I am getting done what needs to done, and I like the results so far. Kat is happy!!! I’m happy. Now I can grow some hair !! Chemo still SUCKS !!!!!!!

Kat has been having some trouble with arthritis or carpal tunnel or ???? She says, I've had to put away my crochet and knitting because I have carpal tunnel in both wrists. And the computer mouse is bugging me too. So I need to spend less time playing FB (Facebook) games. Can't play on the computer, can't crochet or knit, can't hold even a paper back book without pain. Guess I'll just have Randy open my Twinkies and I'll sit on the couch and watch Oprah all day. Sounds kind of like a ‘THIS SUCKS’ to me. Where’d she get an attitude like that ??

In other news: Doris and John are moving in, minus one old coffee pot, Katy is all better, there is some kerfuffle with the Y-Cook, the China Sea is open, and the last I heard there were nine carvers who showed up. That, of course, all relates to BGR. We went to an RV show at the University of Phoenix sports complex. That’s where the NFL Cardinals play. We walked in to the arena and were greeted by 32 salesmen. I said “no fair, you guys outnumber us by 16 to 1”. I think my math is correct? I told them we were happy RV owners and were just looking but a couple of them wanted to waste some time for a while. So they did. Eventually they realized that they weren’t going to have a pay day following us around and gave up. It wasn’t like I didn’t warn them. We looked at most of what might marginally interest us but truly didn’t see anything that ‘blew our dresses up’. We did see a couple of things that we need to change or improve. We don’t like our audio-visual set up and the new ones seem less complicated. We’ve got this supposedly fantastic system but it requires a degree in engineering and robotics. We still need to exchange or modify our dinette table and get some new (better) cushions and we would like one of the new, smaller, non-movable, no cranking up and down, looks like an aircraft, digital TV antennas. Other than that our RV is just dandy.

Here’s a thought! There should be some strict qualifications to be qualified to vote. First of all, you should have some ‘skin in the game’. There needs to be risk involved. Non taxpayers and welfare recipients need not apply! If your only interest is to vote yourself a part of the treasury you had no part of creating, you shouldn’t be voting. It shouldn’t take more than a couple of moments thought of the Occupy crowd to convince you of that. Talk about ‘wastes of flesh’ and the need to ‘thin the herd’ (big grin here). I could definitely live with a required high school graduate, or equivalent qualification. I mean if you walk into Dunkin Donuts and can’t read the menu board well enough to order coffee and a donut, you probably shouldn’t be voting. I know that it’s the 2000’s and just because you have a high school diploma doesn’t mean you can read, but you have to draw the line somewhere. But don’t despair, I wouldn’t stop there. Mostly you should have some worldly experience hopefully giving you some semblance of knowledge that would justify the privilege. Let’s not forget that is what it should be, a privilege. Soooo…. I believe a hitch in the military, or maybe the reestablished CCC (Civilian Conservation Corps) or perhaps the Peace Corps. I guess you’d have to be careful about calling anything the Corps because Obama can’t pronounce that off is reader board. But, you get my drift! Man o’ man would that change the political landscape or what? Can you see the reaction of your liberal friends to that. They’d probably want military service to be a disqualification. Oh well, it was just a thought! Did I ever tell you about Coventry? Maybe I did?

My oldest wrote to me on news of the chemo and she said Hip, Hip Hooray

I'm chuckling about your subject.. gone today - hair tomorrow, so funny.

That's great news, cuz I'm not sure if you knew this, but apparently - Chemo SUCKS!”

Like the idea of a little pill instead :)

I thought it was cute and I see some potential here for someone to perhaps carry on the recording of the family history. But that’s way down the road. My job for a while to come.

IMG_0830 Hair tomorrow

No comments: