Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Back in the RGV

IMG_2198            IMG_2200
One of the Hill Folk                        A whimsical house in cottonwood bark
So we’ve been swimming, over to Mission West (an RV park just next to us) for their delicious burgers, Pickleballing, woodcarving and that was just the first three days. When I went to woodcarving I got a welcome like a Rock Star. At least that’s what it felt like. I guess they were surprised we escaped from up north and weren’t expecting us just yet. Good group! Unfortunately one of the group didn’t make it this year. One of the dangers of getting old. But he may make it next year. It’s kind of a morbid little joke down here that every time you hear a siren somebody says, “well there’s another trailer for sale”. But it’s an old population and there are lots of sirens. Still……….. It’s good to be back.
I am feeling good and it’s good to be back among friends and have things to do. Nina from woodcarving brought me a bunch of cottonwood bark for carving. Cool! She wanted to buy a piece that I was making last year and I wouldn’t sell it to her. I just don’t do that. But she kept after me and I finally finished it and just gave it to her. She asked what a wanted for it and I said two good pieces of bark. So she worried all summer about that bark and wasn’t finding any. Just before they left up north, a tornado touched down in a state park near Erie PA, where they’re from and knocked down a bunch of cottonwood trees. She got permission and gathered up a bunch and brought it down. So now she’s saying that God is/was looking out for me. I don’t know about that, but she gave me first pick and I have a bunch of good bark. And more than just a couple of pieces.
Now we’ve settled down to enjoy winter in the RGV. Actually winter may have arrived today and will be here until the weekend it looks like. Only 50 today and tomorrow with lows in the lower 40’s and then back to the 80’s for the weekend. Hopefully that will be it. But the rule of thumb is that ‘we’re not out of the woods’ as far as cold weather is concerned until January 15th. After that winter is reliably over. Hope so! I know I shouldn’t complain when I consider what you folks go through for winter, but we come down here to avoid it! You can be sure that if winter lasts more than 3 days I’ll be complaining.
We went to entertainment a couple of nights ago at the rec hall to see the Link Family. They do gospel and bluegrass on tour from Branson I think. I like to hear the theme from Deliverance and Orange Blossom Express and a couple of others. They’re very good! Seen them 3 times now. Anyway we stood for “God Bless America and when we sat down I happened to see the guy in front of me sit down in kind of the old guy squat thing and I thought aawww crap……… That’s what I do. Ya’ kind of do a ¼ squat, stick your butt out, put your hands on your knees, look between your legs for the chair, and then groan and sit down and say aaaahhhhhh!!! Getting old ain’t for sissy’s !!!!!! Am I right, or am I right !!!!!!
Some of you may be worried about us going to Mexico because of all the stories you’ve heard recently. You can put your mind at ease. Not because we’re not going, but because we don’t think it’s as bad as you hear. We were going anyway and then yesterday we had a talk from a Border Patrol agent who said its OK to go to Progresso. That is where we go. Most all of the incidents in Texas are in El-Paso/Juarez. He said just use your head, we do, stay with others, we do, don’t go too far into town, we don’t, and don’t piss off the cartel…… huh? He didn’t really say that last part. I just was seeing if you were awake???? And here is a thought. The cartels don’t want the bad publicity, the merchants want our business, what is the motivation for keeping us away? I guess there are people on the other side of the border who just don’t like gringos. But would you rather go to Progresso where you have never experienced any trouble or inner city Detroit? Even Portland for that matter. I don’t know you pick the major inner city urban area. I’ll take Nuevo Progresso, Mexico. Besides we found a spot with good shrimp tacos and we need some 800 mg ibuprofen.
Damn it’s cold!!! I hate winter!!! Even if it is three days long.
Recently I was doing some genealogy and got to thinking of one of my fantasies. Wait, you don’t have to run kids off, I said genealogy. And remember it is my blog. Some of you know that my fathers side of the family has a remarkable Civil War history. My GG Grandfather Absalom and six of his sons volunteered from Ohio for service in the Northern Army. He and three sons did not return. Food rations during the war, even for the North were pretty slim. It was not uncommon for a soldier to receive about a ½ lb. of pork fat and a cup of dry beans, plus found, for a days rations. So my fantasy is to walk GG Grandpa through an upscale grocery store just to see the look on his face. Can you imagine? How much could a person from the hills of Ohio in 1860 even identify. Well, it’s just a thought. But it brings a smile to my face. And then I begin to think of all the other possibilities………..

Did you notice the date on this posting?  Cool!

No comments: