Saturday, April 10, 2010

Stitch removal in LA

Got’em out two days ago. But I still get a little squeamish when I pick up the hammer. Kat had the medical duty that day so she took them out. All went well except for that last one in the worst spot in the middle of all the carnage that was my left index finger. She yanked twice on that one because it was stuck and she wanted to make sure that my first scream wasn’t just for practice but the real thing. Then she figured out that last stitch wasn’t cut which, I can tell you, makes them easier to get out. But all is better now, if not peachy. I still get frustrated at being pretty much one handed for anything requiring actual strength and dexterity. Yesterday I got mad at myself when trying to tighten our hose to the motorhome water inlet and let a couple of expletives fly about my finger and its shortcomings. I got in trouble for that because there were kids walking by. I maintain they didn’t hear a thing until I got smacked up side the head with a broom handle by Kat. So if they were offended it was her fault and most likely they were not. I probably don’t cuss near as good as most 3rd graders today.

I need to clarify a point that may have some of you confused. Or it would if anybody read this, but I’ll mention it anyway. I have written somewhere I think in this Blog of Kat’s medical ability. Specifically, that she can reattach a thumb with two Band-Aids and some wood glue. Ah ha! You say. Then why did you have to run to the doctor for your finger. Well, that is simply the difference between smashing and making a clean cut of something. Kat has only been medically qualified to deal with woodcarving wounds, the clean cut variety and stitch removal. So there it is.

We had a good visit at cousin Shirley’s. Kat learned a few more things about her family and Shirley’s Grandson Jarred fixed us a nice Tequila chicken meal. We went out for some good Florida Barbecue which really was pretty good and actually was in Florida, unlike the Hawaiian place that we went to in Gulf Breeze that I maintain was either in or awful close to Mississippi. Shirley says it wasn’t that far, but I’m pretty good at direction, time and distance, or maybe I was just hungry. Mostly it was just a good relaxing visit with Shirley, Jarred and three pretty spoiled pups. Bo, Sugar and Toto. (Poodle-poodle-silky in that order) At times there may have been a couple more running around. Shirley loves animals and she’d be the first to admit that hers might be just a little on the spoiled side. Bo is not sure if he has legs he gets picked up so much. But it was a good visit and the only one really ready to leave was Jade. I think she was thinking cats didn’t fit in real well.

I titled this segment Stitches In ‘LA’ probably giving most of you pause as to where we really are? You thought we were in Florida not Los Angeles. Well some of the folks in the Pan-Handle of Florida prefer to think of themselves as more like Alabamans than Floridians, I suppose justifiably so. Sooo…. Here ‘LA’ refers affectionately to Lower Alabama. Ya’see! How ya’ gonna’ learn all this stuff if you don’t read my Blog.
At Shirley’s we were right next to Eglin Air Force Base and near Hurlbert Field, home of Air Force Special Operations. Her property line borders the woods that extend almost to Alabama and is Air Force property. They were conducting some kind of exercise and we were privileged to listen to it a couple of nights. It was aircraft, ordinance, and ammunition. What I affectionately refer to as the sound of peace. Those on the left might think it the sound of war, I beg to differ.

We didn’t get to see Shirley’s black bear. She has had one coming through the fence recently and causing some damage. Yes they do have bears in Florida! Maybe they think it’s really Alabama. Must be that ‘LA’ thing.

And we got the frig fixed.

No comments: