Friday, January 15, 2010

South of the Border











We always get to Mexico a few times while we’re down here in the ‘Valley’. This year is no exception. It took a couple trips to get my teeth cleaned and a tooth fixed with a new crown. That’s Manuela on the left and Patty on the right, next to me. Manuela did the cleaning and Patty did the crown. They were both quite pleasant and did a very good job. I will go back again next year for another check-up. I guess for less hardy souls or if it doesn’t go right, you can stop at the ‘Happy Teeth Bar’ for a little fortification on the way in, or pain killer on the way out. And you can’t hear it on the Blog, but there’s no charge for the music at ‘Happy Teeth’; all the way down the street.

Kat got a new pair of glasses, we got a couple of prescription medications and we loaded up on vanilla for friends who didn’t want to make the trip. We had a really good lunch and a Margarita or two and did a little looking around and shopping. Kat talked me into a haircut. I didn’t really need one, but, the barber was availableJ.

There are folks who don’t want to cross the border now because of the trouble. There was a recent shooting spree and some trouble within the drug establishment. Mostly we feel safe and know that the folks in Progresso Mexico want and appreciate our business. We haven’t had a problem or felt in any danger. I probably feel as safe in Progresso as I would in downtown Houston, maybe safer? Now Reynosa, a border town also near here is another story. We are advised not to go there and don’t. But like I said, I’m pretty sure there are places in ???? (you pick a big US city) that I won’t be venturing to anytime soon. Of course they probably don’t have machine gun toting soldiers and armored personnel carriers on the corner. But Obama has three more years. Maybe I speak too soon.

No comments: