Wednesday, July 1, 2009

To work! To work! And the Girlfriends.







So here we are at Scenic Beach again. And I really have a job. I do light maintenance and close the park at night. Which is drive around in a pick-up making my presence known and getting people out so I can close the gate. There is a 50 site campground and separate ‘day use’ area. My hours are 2:00 PM or so to close (about 9:00). Sometimes I start early and split the day up. The work is easy and the setting is fantastic. I see a lot of my girlfriend, who I call ‘girlfriend’, to she how she is doing. Then once in a while I see ‘momma and the twins’. Both are deer! Actually they may be the same doe. She hangs around Emel House and there is some thought she has her babies stashed nearby and she brings them out just sometimes. She seems to know that if you are driving something, pulling a hose, or carrying a tool that you are OK and she can just relax and graze on the clover. Of course, if and when she is ‘momma and the twins’ it’s a little different. Then she is a little more cautious. And an UPDATE. As it turns out she is not the same doe. Just recently I saw them all in one group, including a yearling who hangs with ‘momma and the twins’ sometimes. So it’s 2 doe, two fawns and one yearling.

Scenic Beach kind of specializes in weddings at Emel House and has one picnic shelter for rent for larger picnics and events. Emel House was built in 1910-12 and overlooks Hood Canal. Pictures. So for about $1000 you can have a wedding here in the house and/or the grounds. And lots of folks do! It’s probably rented two or sometimes three times a week during the summer for weddings.

At our site we have the bird and hummer feeders out, the canopy is up with a picnic table underneath (for wood carving don’t ya’know) , the satellite dish is up and working, and Jade likes her spot. The ‘dish’ was a challenge in that we are in some tall timber here and there is no view of the sky at less than about 80 degrees. This far north you need about 35 or 40 degrees to get a signal. But we got a real nice kid from Direct TV who came out to set us up and was very understanding and helpful. When he first pulled up in all these trees he was shaking his head and thinking no way. But I took him for a walk and we found a spot about 400’ or 500’ away. He used much more cable than we were authorized and gave us a new dish and all the connectors and everything. He was a ‘breath of fresh air’ in this day and age. And he loved Jade! She was laying on her back sunning like she does (we get about an hour around noon) and I pointed at her and he looked and said “how adorable”. Twice! So he pulled out his phone/camera and took a couple of pictures for his wife who he said just had to see this. I felt better when he said wife because I was beginning to wonder after the ‘adorable’ thing. LOL. But he was a nice kid and I doubt we would have had satellite TV service with most technicians. Anyway the whole setup is pretty nice and we have a good group of folks to work with.

One of the more comforting thoughts about being here is that we’re just a few miles from Bangor and the US Navy Trident Submarine base. Home of the largest (I’m told) nuclear warhead storage area in the nation, So if somebody screws up and pushes the button I’m prepared to just bend over and kiss my rear end goodbye. Kind of a Cold War thing I guess, but its still got to be a high priority target.

No comments: