Thursday, July 30, 2009

The Bed and Brain Connection


Many times either going to bed or waking I think of really neat stuff to write about. And I know that I have a problem with remembering what I was thinking about. The ‘Bed and Brain connection’. As soon as I get up the connection is broken and for the life of me I can’t remember what it was I was going to write about that I thought was so neat. I have to get up and write it down quickly or its gone. And I do mean quickly. Any hesitation and I may not even remember that I was going to write something down. I may be stuck with half a thought or one of two thoughts, or something like that. There could be some ‘Old Timers’ disease in there but I think it’s mostly the case that a good portion of my brain really resides in the mattress. Anyway, I try to write stuff down and here’s some of it.

Jade and Mutt
Shawn the Ranger has a big old dog named Bo who roams the area and ain’t too crazy about interlopers, which in this case includes cats, which includes Jade (people are OK),. But Bo and Jade have been formally introduced now and things are pretty much OK. Bo comes by now and then and lays on our rug looking for handouts or pees on the bushes, just to keep Jade honest. Jade turns her back or climbs on a chair or the picnic table to demonstrate her lack of concern. But somehow she manages to convey the point that she’ll rip off Bo’s face if he tries any funny stuff. They have learned to cohabitate.
Downy woodpecker and the paranoid Jade
I have no earthly idea what I was thinking! Kind of proves the point huh? It may have been a Hairy woodpecker anyway. They’re a little bigger.
T. Tommy Tucker and friends
Really it’s just Tucker. He’s a Golden Retriever belonging to Linda, a very nice lady who lives near here and does some volunteer office work for the park and walks Tucker here every night. Tucker has allergies and has to have special food and treats. Shawn (or maybe it was Linda)bought a bag of potato and duck treats just for him. Thanks to Shawn this is a dog friendly park. Shawn is able to ‘talk to the animals’ especially Bo (see above), but not just Bo. So unlike lot’s of parks this one is quite animal friendly. We have treats and most dogs get a welcome at the gate too. Not a problem for me! Anyway, I have explained to Tucker, who really is a pretty boy, that his secret is safe with me. I won’t let on that he gets potato and duck treats and ‘oh by the way’ carries around a pink floppy eared bunny named ‘Bubby’. While I’m on dogs, one of my jobs here is to explain to park visitors that the big black dog named Bo that belongs to Shawn the Park Ranger, that I’m shooing out of the park, does not belong to the Park Ranger, but is really just a neighbor mutt. Really Bo stays home real well but every once in a while he likes to visit the park. Shawn lives right next door to the maintenance area and the whole place is pretty much empty except on summer weekends so it’s not a problem, but when it does happen and there are people around, Shawn is too embarrassed to go get her dog. She just starts laughing and asks me to go get the neighbor dog out of here. That’s when Bo becomes the mutt! As a point of interest, this is the Golden Retriever capitol of the world or so it seems I think every fourth dog we see on a leash here is a ‘Golden’. No exaggeration! Still on dogs! Kat, not my Kat, but another Park Aide here, has a dog named Willow that is mostly wolf. Kat hales from Alaska and so does Willow. Not too long ago I was down in the park near closing time and it was getting a little dark and I’m busy doing something and sense this presence behind me. I turn to see a ‘freakin’ wolf standing behind me. And that was my thought. “There’s a freakin wolf standing behind me”! As you already know it was really Willow but I hadn’t met Willow yet. You go stand in the woods when its getting dark and have a dog that looks more like wolf sneak up behind you; “see how much you like it!” OK so maybe it wasn’t getting dark and maybe the dog is 14 years old and can’t see very well. It was still a little scary.
After reading this last I realize it wanders a bit and you may get lost somewhere in my discussion of dogs and who, and what they are, and to whom they belong . Just live with it! I’ll entertain questions but it’s too late to change it.
The Sunseeker Couple
Just yesterday an older couple came in and got a camping spot for the night. For some reason I couldn't take their payment right away and explained the self registration process which is to go pick a spot and come back an put the payment envelope in the box. They said, ‘oh, couldn’t we just pay in the morning or something because we don’t want to walk all the way back’. I could see they had no tow car so I told them, better yet, why don't I drive by and find them and pick up their payment later. Which I did! But that is not my point, even though it does demonstrate that I am a pretty nice guy. My point is, that when I got to their site they were setting up and pulling out their lawn chairs, and I thought ‘how neat is this, a nice spot in the trees and nothing to do but relax’. And with a little more reflection I realized I/we’ve been doing this for several years and still I was a little jealous of them. Making the real point. I am still just enjoying the hell out of our lifestyle! And it made my day!

No comments: