Saturday, August 30, 2008

Bar Harbor




We’re just about as far east as you can get in the US, but not quite. Lebec, about 2 hours (half that as the crow flies ENE of here) is the eastern most point. At least that’s our neighbors story. We’re camped next to a couple of couples from there. As I told them, “we’ll just call that good, two couples from Lebec is close enough.” Maybe the next trip when the roads are better we’ll do more! We’ve been on US Hwy 1 and it has been a piece of crap. Hard on the dishes and RV. Yesterday we took the free shuttle from our campground into Bar Harbor to sightsee, shop, and have lunch. On the way back I was going nuts. There were too many screaming kids, talking people, and the ride was right out of ‘hell’. We were sitting over the rear wheels and having our innards relocated by the jarring ride on the washboard Hwy 1. I think we’ve both had enough of the East Coast for now. It has been fun and we’ve seen a lot but……!!! It’s time to go. Too many people and cars in too little space.

But, we’ll be feeling better and getting into a little more relaxed situation in the next couple of days. Labor Day is upon us. Shops and eateries are already closing the day before Labor day. All the screaming kids, their idiot parents and ankle biting dogs can go back home and to school where they belong. That may be a little harsh but you know what I mean.

Before I close on Bar Harbor I really need to say that in spite of what I’ve written, the New England experience has been very nice. It’s much nicer than I remember from last time. Nice people and scenic country. A good experience all around. Kat says she could even live here. That may be too much of a stretch for me but it was nice. We saw the coast (the ‘shore’ as some call it back here), Acadia National Park, Kat got some lobster at the ‘lobster pound’, and I had haddock which was very good. I’m just not a lobster guy when it’s about $32 a pop. If it were half that I might go for one. But the lobster pound experience is not to be missed and I enjoyed Kat enjoying her lobster. Messy! Messy!

As a side note I must report on Jade. She escaped last night sometime and came back about 6:30 this AM. We didn’t miss her until she came back. You may remember that she uses the RV door catch as a “knocker” when she wants in. I thought I heard knocking and then the doorbell rang! Kat was still sleeping but I got up and sure enough it was Jade. We put on one of those cheap stick-on door bells and the button is pretty close to Jade’s regular knocker and she somehow ‘rang’ the bell. Then I discovered she had knocked over the lamp, pulled back the shade, and opened the screen. Who knows how long she was gone? But I guess she figured she didn’t want to become one of, or get eaten, by one of those Maine Coon cats!

No comments: