Sunday, July 20, 2008

Three Lizards







Our volunteer duties were finally done and it was time to go. We were heading for North Carolina and a visit with nephew Mike and the lovely Phyllis in Sanford. With a little luck sister Sandy and Brother-in-law Don would still be there.

Before we got to Sanford I needed to work a little, or a lot, on my tan. I could just tell that my ‘laying out’ Buddy Phyllis was out everyday by her pool trying to best me and damage my ‘rep’. We stopped at Lake something-something on the SC, NC border and I got some good sun and then again at the pool at Banjo RV park. At Banjo they had a jumping bag, the first one I had seen. We gave it a try but this is something for people who really have knees and are maybe a might more agile than grandparents. I think that’s a pretty polite way of saying it. But we did give it a try and at one point I think I was high enough that you could get a cigarette paper under my feet (a very, very old accusation from my Dad). From Banjo we also visited the NC Zoo and got three lizards.

Many days ago we found a little rubber lizard with a suction cup that we just stuck on the outside windshield of the car without much thought. He rode along with us for many, many miles in that position and drew many looks and comments. But through the dust, sand, grit, mud, and wind of those many miles he finally lost his suction and had to be moved inside. We have looked at every gift shop and crap store we enter (and that’s a lot)for a replacement and could not find one until the NC Zoo. They had a whole basketful at the zoo and we got one of each variety. They look good, but sadly they are not as good as the original we found in a parking lot those many days ago. They just don’t stick as good. I guess it’s just hard to replace an old friend. Still, they are stuck around the inside of the RV. So don’t panic if a lizard is peeking out at you from between the pencils in the pen holder on the dinette. And our old friend is still riding in the car, but unattached on the dash.

Sandy and Don were still in Sanford for one more night when we got there and we had a good visit all around. All are well and Garrett is nearing manhood in size and temperament. ( I hope that doesn’t go to his head). The RV fit better in the driveway with the basketball hoop gone and the pool and fishing were great. Well! Maybe the fishing wasn’t as good as last time. Phyllis was ahead of me in tanning but it didn’t last. By the time we left I had reestablished my dominion as the “Bronze God”. Maybe just a bit chubbier “Bronze God” though. Still ‘tan’ fat is better than ‘white’ fat. Soooo…….. we hated to leave but it was time to head on down the road and not wear out our welcome at one of our favorite places to stay. I just have to get Mike to put in that RV pad with electric, water, and sewer. You can do it Mike!

No comments: