Monday, February 25, 2008

New Orleans

We really weren’t too sure about staying/going to New Orleans. It’s not easy driving a 50’ rig through metro areas and it gets a little more intimidating when places don’t have a sterling reputation. I think you can relate. If not, imagine driving your house and all your worldly possessions through an area your not real sure about and parking it for a few days. But is this case we really were almost forced to drive through New Orleans from Grand Isle to get anywhere east. So we did! We found a state park just south of New Orleans and on the other side of the Mississippi. The park was nice and we were close so I asked about going into New Orleans. It did seem a shame to be this close and not go see “The Big Easy”. We were told to drive over to the ferry and take it across and right into the city. That sounded like a good deal so once again, we did!

I should tell you that this park (Bayou Signette) was in metro New Orleans, so we only had to drive maybe 3 or 4 miles. We drove into a part of town called New Algiers (I think). This is all an older part of the city so even this was an experience. We’ve been to ferries before, especially in Washington State, around the sound (Puget Sound). They have nice big roads and really nice big road signs to point the way to the ferry at every turn. Not so here! No big roads or signs. But we found it after a fashion; after driving by a couple of pothole/sinkholes that almost swallowed our little car. And then we pulled into a gravel parking area behind a dike and were greeted by a nice black gentleman who politely, and with a smile on his face, says, “I’ve been waiting for you”! I had to laugh and inquire as to his name. I thought I heard “Whiskey” and repeated it to him and he said no, it’s “Risky” as in “Risky Business”. And even though his elocution and my hearing are not as good as they could be; I did learn that “Risky” has been working this parking lot for 28 years. I didn’t ask him about his retirement plan and health benefits? Then we got on the free ferry and road directly across the “mighty Mississippi’ to downtown New Orleans and the French Quarter. Not more than a 15 minute trip.

I’m not going to go into a lot about what we did in New Orleans. I’m really glad we went and I would go back. We had some coffee and beignets (pronounced ben-YAY, it’s a deep fried French doughnut covered, and I mean covered, with powdered sugar. No sneezing when eating beignets), rode the trolley down to the cemeteries, and walked the French Quarter including Canal and Bourbon Streets. And we went to the buffet at Harrah’s which is touted to be one of the best. It was, but it was also $65 for the two of us. I guess you only go around once. And then we went back a second day to do some more roaming and eating our way around New Orleans.

They are recovering from Katrina and really want our business. But at the same time there seemed to be a feeling of malaise from lots of the populace. The effects of Katrina are still visible. At least I would assume that is why there are many vacant and dilapidated houses, and people living in tents under underpasses maybe five or six blocks from Bourbon Street. I’m guessing that the city and state are suffering from a huge lack of leadership. But that is just my opinion. I will add that the devastation of Katrina even now is apparent. I think maybe it was worse than we (maybe just me) have imagined, regardless of who or what is to blame. Certainly there was and is a large number of people of have been dislocated from homes and even complete neighborhoods. We saw much of that on our way east leaving New Orleans. I can’t tell you how many homes, buildings and complexes on our route out of New Orleans and along the Mississippi coast are just gone. Lots and lots (!), and pictures can’t show what is missing. The trip gave us a new perspective. Still, in Mississippi it is cleaned up and the rebuilding is being accomplished. I have the opinion that New Orleans and Louisiana are still waiting for help. There is a long way to go. Even in Mississippi one house in five may have been rebuilt. But like I said, we have a new perspective. I can not imagine leaving your home in the face of something like Katrina and coming back to nothing. And I think that must have happened to many people. I must say that we didn’t have opportunity to stop and ask lots of questions. We just drove through and happened upon what we happened upon and saw what we saw. These are just my impressions and opinions, and I could be wrong. One thing is certain; I have more compassion and empathy for the folks who went through Katrina after seeing what I’ve seen!

One more thing and I’ll get off. I wasn’t going to talk a lot about New Orleans, remember? We did see some FEMA trailers and places we think use to be FEMA trailer parks. We do what we do and go where we go by choice. We do it in a 30’ tin box. But we have a huge back yard of our choosing and nice big windows to look out on the world. I wouldn’t want to live in a FEMA trailer in what use to be a shopping center parking lot for very long. It didn’t look like a very good thing to do. And there are still folks doing it.

But if you happened by New Orleans or the Gulf Coast, I’d go. There isn’t anything to fear that I could detect. And who knows? You may meet somebody unforgettable like “Risky”! And if you do, give him a big tip and tell him I said hello!

No comments: