Thursday, February 7, 2008

Lady Bird at Fredericksburg

When I came through here in 2004 I thought Fredericksburg would be a nice place to stay for a while. It’s a German community with a real Texican influence or maybe a Texan community with a real German influence. Lot’s of German shops and restaurants. Anyway, I put it on our itinerary as a good place to stop. We stayed at Lady Bird Municipal Park which has an RV park (which we of course used) and golf course (which I didn’t use). It was also time to do the laundry, one of those chores which isn’t so automatic and easy with this lifestyle. But we found a nice ‘washateria’ near a hospital so J/Kat did the laundry while I walked up to the hospital to get my quarterly blood draw and lab testing. They faxed the results to PDX so I’m good for another three months on the labs. We won’t make it that long on laundry.

Fredericksburg was OK. We walked the main street and did all the antique shops and German stores. What we didn’t do was go to a German restaurant. Nothing just jumped out at us and said ‘eat here’. Oh well! I did pick up lots of pecans in the park.

And of course Lady Bird was Lady Bird Johnson, President Lyndon Baines Johnson’s wife and First Lady in the 60’s. Johnson City and the Johnson ranch are not too far east of here. Nothing’s perfect everywhere! Even Texas had its undesirables.

No comments: